Case Study: Creating a Strategic Account Sales Approach
A manufacturer that sold product primarily through distribution needed a strategic account sales strategy to create demand and support direct sales without disenfranchising their channel partners.
"Adroit Consulting defined a tailored strategic account approach that fit our business in supporting the pursuit of large end users."
Director, Total Water Management, Water Filtration Manufacturer
A water treatment equipment manufacturer needed a strategic account strategy. Market changes required
solution-based selling, rather than transactional product focused sales to increase margins and meet more sophisticated customer needs.
The client's traditional model of going to market through distribution needed significant redesign to create customer demand while maintaining the revenue flow through distribution.
Adroit was hired to assess the strategic account process and develop a roadmap for a new sales model.
Stages in the engagement included:
- Interviews and observations of the sales organization and their customers.
- A gap analysis between current and required processes in the strategic selling process.
- Development of a strategic account roadmap including:
- The framework for a sales playbook to establish consistent sales processes.
- A structure for sales meetings to encourage activity and accountability.
- A team sales approach for supporting sales territories with customer-centric solutions - minimizing channel conflict.
- A compensation model that supports team-based selling yet recognizes the value of the individual contributors.
- Recommended metrics and measurements to measure performance and successes.
- Buy-in and accountability from other departments to support the strategic selling approach.
The results of Adroit's recommendations led to the recognition of clear gaps in their existing strategic account process, including the following:
- A properly executed sales operating model to support the consultative, strategic account focus without compromising its historical transactional sales revenues.
- Alignment of a team based compensation plan to support a direct / distribution channel mix.
- Consistent procedures with distributors and clear processes for handling distributors and resellers based on performance and market segment.
- An opportunity to further penetrate markets through strategic alliances with distributor networks.
- Implementation of more rigorous and segmented processes to support the strategic solution selling process.