Case study: Developing Build to Order Capabilities
A product focused company needed to transform into a customer solution provider by building the capability to deliver more customized solutions.
"Adroit Consulting detailed very well what we need to do and it is more then anyone would have thought. This organization needed a roadmap to get started."
VP of Marketing & Site Manager, Water Filtration Manufacturer
A water filtration manufacturer needed a custom product capability to efficiently deliver solution based product configurations to a market that was growing in its sophistication and complexity. They were seeking to achieve breakthrough sales growth by providing solution oriented product offerings versus pre-defined standard product sales (catalog based).
The organization and processes were addressing custom solutions as a one-off transaction, causing difficulty as demand grew. The demand for increased customization was great, distributors were requesting enhanced capabilities, and competitors and market demand supported increased customization.
Adroit was hired to assess the organization from sales process through production to create an efficient operating model in which to offer configured or customized products to better meet client needs. Also to develop an Action Plan to prioritize the required activities to implement a more flexible sales and manufacturing operating model.
- Development of an operating model to address all solution based customer requests - standard products, configured solutions, customized solutions.
- Defining key elements of the operation model including organizational structure and roles and responsibilities, revised processes, and technical requirements.
- Creating a detailed Action Plan to prioritize the implementation activities so that the entire organization (sales service, technical support, quality, production, assembly, and shipping) could understand the challenges ahead in developing a process for custom builds.
- Development of a custom build roadmap including:
- To-Be Processes
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Metrics and Measurements
- Recommended Systems and Tools
- Change Management Issues and Risks
The results of Adroit's recommendations led to:
- The ability for customers to select tailored solutions versus receiving sub-optimal standard products or distributor based configurations that voided warranties with the manufacturer.
- Prospects having the ability to choose the most appropriate distribution method (direct vs. indirect) based on their specific business need.
- Solution based offerings providing higher margins and better positioning the company with large customers.