Case Study: Operational Strategy Roadmap to Support Growth
Marrying historic operating success with appropriate leading practices to develop a future vision and implementation roadmap for operational and technology platforms.
"A leading healthcare insurance provider had experienced extraordinary growth and operating results but recognized the need for a practical strategy to ensure efficiency and the best possible positioning to support future growth and sustained profits."
A large health care management company wanted to improve customer service in the individual health insurance marketplace, double membership and ensure operations were as efficient as possible in anticipation of strong top line growth. They also wanted to benchmark their operational processes against competitors in their industry with respect to efficiency, cost, service and the usage of technology platforms. Finally, they wanted potential solutions and implementation plans that would be considered "best in class" in this high growth environment. The project scope included:
- Benefit Services:
- Customer Service
- Benefit Development
- Member Services:
- New Business Processing and Underwriting
- Membership Services and Customer Service
- Executive Inquiry
- Member Outreach/Telemarketing
- Information Technology and Administration:
- System Administration
- Corporate Services
- Human Resources
Adroit utilized its Customer Support and Integrated Customer Management Solution Frameworks to inventory the current operational situation relative to current and planned future demand; assessed and evaluated the client's national carrier platforms; and outlined the future vision for integrated operational processes including Medicare supplements.
Stages in the engagement included:
- A "process fair" to obtain comprehensive input on current business processes and technology across all operational tiers. The "process fair" promoted common understanding of processes and integration/touch points to increase cross-department learning and reduce knowledge gaps.
- An integrated, "ground-up" process analysis that identified numerous areas for improvement.
- A benchmarking study with industry leaders across relevant functional or operational domains.
- Analysis of organizational, process and technology platform.
- An "accelerated vision workshop" to provide a proactive and collaborative facilitated process to define, validate and approve a fact-based future vision and "quick hits" for immediate benefit.
- Development of a strategic operating roadmap and prioritized implementation plan.
The results of Adroit's work lead to:
- A framework to assess operations-people, process, and technology-with key criteria for each element.
- An integrated business process enhancement plan prioritized by benefit, cost and practicality.
- An industry benchmarking report
- An implementation roadmap and plan to include "quick hits" for rapid improvement.